Thursday, September 16, 2010

There Goes The Neighborhood!

                     People in my neighborhood most often keep to themselves.Yet most of my neighborhood is mainly Hispanic. Though we always get along during block parties. Everyone seems to get along just fine since we're all Hispanic. Yet I'm not sure how my neighborhood would react if we threw Asians or Middle Easterns into the mix.
                     Sure we're not considered racist but people are naturally scared of what they don't know. My neighborhood is mostly quiet and peaceful so I wouldn't expect a large reaction from the neighborhood.  Yet if we kept to ourselves even though we have similar culture, they may treat the new neighbors as outcasts. People would most likely avoid them at first. Yet my opinion differs from my neighborhood.
                     I for one have many friends of many cultures and I enjoy having them. Instead of fearing diverse cultures I welcome them because their diversity is what makes them interesting. You've got to know them before you have the right to dislike them but sadly my neighborhood might not have had the chance to do so.  School really does help you in these situations for it is full of many diverse students of all kinds.
                     Yet over all my neighborhood would not create an angry mob with pitch forks and torches and chase our new neighbors out. Well at least I hope they don't. My prediction would be that the new neighbors would most likely be ignored for a while. Yet sooner or later we would grow used to their presence and get to know each other during our neighborhood events such as block parties. In the end i'm sure it would all end fine.

1 comment:

  1. Luis I have a very similar neighborhood as you except for that my neighborghood isn't calm at all!! HAHA I forgot to comment on blogs, so here it is..

    ReplyDelete